Tuesday, October 6, 2015

Discovery

Isn't it wonderful to discover new things? I can answer that for you. Yes. Yes it is. It is absolutely amazing to experience something for the first time. When you are living in a different country, you almost experience something new every day. New phrases, new foods, new friends, new customs, new adventures, and more.

But what is even better is discovering new things about our creator and Father, God. I thought that the reason I came to Africa was to discover the next step for my life. While I believe that I have discovered a few things around that, I realized that I was wrong. God is meeting me here. I am learning more about who He is and who He has made me to be. Now you might be thinking this post is going to be about self-discovery and what not. Well, it's not. I am trying to emphasize the relationship part. I am discovering God as my friend. I can't tell you how long I've known this because it seems like forever. But I didn't ginosko know. Ginosko is the greek word for understanding not just knowing. So you know you are a child of God, but do you understand what that means???? You are adopted, and given inheritance and now you can be an ambassador for your daddy.

One of the first messages I heard here at Hatfield Christian Church was about ginosko. Now, this message did not impact me immediately. But hindsight is 20/20, and looking back on just this first term, I am realizing how important it is to know and EXPERIENCE God. Here at YOYL, I have time to wait and listen for God. We have even practiced hearing His voice. I do not even know how to put in words what it feels like to open yourself up and place yourself in God's arms. It is the most comfortable place in this world. And wherever you go, you are home. All you need to do is turn and fall into His arms. "He alone is my refuge, my place of safety, He is my God, and I trust Him." Psalm 91:2

Woah. Am I getting side tracked? Yes. So, discovery, the uncovering of something new.

You can be a baby Christian or a grandfather Christian and still not ever discover this. The beautiful reality that is God's love. But it does not stop there. Daddy God loves us too much to leave us where we are, and He cares for us so much, He wants to give us everything! He has the best for us because He is the BEST for us. Once I realized this it really simplified things for me. Now, understand that lately I've been in a season of simplifying but this is no easy task. I would have so many questions, I felt like a three year old that always asks dad "Why?" There is absolutely nothing wrong with that, but for me in this season I feel God bringing me back down to the foundation He's built for me so we can get back on the same page to build up. So discovering the simplicities of His love has really helped me come to term with all my questions. I am completely at peace now.

And through this peace, He is revealing more of His plan for me. Before, I would come up with my own idea of what to do with my life. Those ideas would consistently change and that ultimately led me to not know what to do with my life which made me come up with this amazing idea to go to Africa to find out. But as I mentioned earlier, that was just God's way of setting up our meeting. Now I am working with God to map out OUR future. Because that's the thing. It is not mine. I have given my life to God and He is gracious enough to let me keep my free-will so I can CHOOSE His way.

Ultimately this is my biggest discovery. That by embracing this relationship with Him, and discovering more about my father, He will lead me through life. So I am walking with God hand in hand. We are a team. A family. And the greatest journey to be on is the one that He is on.

"We can make our plans, but the Lord determines our steps." Proverbs 16:9

--seathinks--

No comments:

Post a Comment