Monday, March 19, 2012

The Melodic Thought

Music is a great shaper of who a person can become. My grandma helped me make discernment in choosing music all though I highly doubt she realizes it. I remember I really wanted the new Carrie Underwood album Carnival, I even asked for it for my birthday. So my wonderful grandma got it for me, but she was wise and looked up the lyrics. One song in particular she did not agree with. I believe it is called "I don't even know my last name." Or something. Anyway, my grandma showed me the CD but explained she didn't want me to have it because of the song on there that she didn't like. We both agreed that Carrie Underwood was still an amazing singer and person we just did not agree with the message she was sending so, we tossed the CD in the garbage. I must admit I was angry at first. In fact I was angry for awhile. As I got older I got over it. Now I realize I need to pay close attention to the lyrics, for they mean much more then words that sound great with an instrument. I listen to mostly Christian music but yes, like a normal teenager I listen to some (or a lot) of secular music. This usually depends on what's going on in life. I think anyone could admit that that is the case. Music is so easily accepted into our mind yet it reaches further...into our soul. Yeah, that sounds really creepy. Think about it though! How many times have you listened to a bunch of music and became this creature that thought exactly like the lyrics of the music. Well I may be the only one but it's happened. I realize that that's not who I am.

Music also defines a person, and especially is a big first impression. So here's a natural conversation I would have with a stranger I just met.
"Hello, my name is none-of-your-business. And yours?"
"Hi, I'm so-and-so."
"Nice to meet you!" What's your favorite color? Favorite food? Restaurant? Sport? Questions like that follow eventually I will ask... "So, what kind of music do you like/listen to?"
Now if so-and-so said heavy metal or screamo I would be quick to judge. In my head at least. I know to be nice to a stranger and when I see them again, make myself little so they pass me over and find their hard rocker friends. Biased, probably but that's how it is with me anyway. Now I wouldn't quite leave them in the dust. I would definitely be friendly, I just don't know how musical conversations would go...

I also realize music is definitely something to talk about. Have you ever had a conversation involving JUST music? I have. It was O-MAZING! Usually with some of the members in my worship team, but mainly with friends. We talk about new bands we have discovered, like One Direction, or we just sit there throwing song lyrics and titles at each other. I love music in case you can't tell. I could go on and on about how it makes me feel, the dramatic-ness about it at certain times, and clearly it builds suspense- I mean what movie doesn't have incredible music to accompany the actors in their horrifying ending or beautiful reunion? Exactly. Music is life to me. It has grown to everyday life and evolves as this crazy world reveals itself through music.

Secular music is ridiculous! I mean really? Was it that necessary to mention the F word every other line of that song? Or did you really have to mention THAT? Even the descriptions... I mean I would take it offensively if someone described me as damn sexy (excuse my language.) EWW! Where are gentlemen of the world? I want to be called radiant, lovely, beautiful. I have high standards men, so you better work on that crap you call music. Music should be poetry, or a story combined with beautiful sounds. To silky? Yes. Here, a more down to earth explanation of my opinion. Music should be the sounds that reflect your personality. Yeah, the music you want to hear as you walk into the presence of the Almighty. For me, I want bright, happy tones that fill His ears and heart with joy. Music to dance to and celebrate. Music is different for every single person though. This is my simple opinion. I like it though :)

So what music do you want to define you?

--sea'sthoughts--

2 comments:

  1. Nothing compares to the greatness of knowing You Lord

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sweet Sarah! Gran Jan is wise to be so thoughtful as to really look out for you this way. Personally, I do listen to a lot of secular music, but there was a time when I definitely felt it wasn't ok for me. This, like so many other things in our walk is something we have to be super-sensitive to hear from the Lord as far as what's ok and what isn't. I remember being annoyed with my dad on more than one occasion because he would make me return clothes I had bought that he felt were immodest. Even though it was a total bummer then, and I didn't really understand it, I'm so glad he helped me learn modesty. As a teen, we just don't know enough to be effective guardians of our own hearts, I suppose that's why we have parents. I was too sheltered and naive then to understand why modesty was so important. It's the same with everything we watch, read, listen to or focus on. Good for you for talking about something that you know is not the popular opinion, and good for you for being watchful of the things that have influence in your life. Anxiously awaiting your next blog!

    ReplyDelete